What is DPF Cleaning?
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is a vital component of diesel engine emissions control. It captures and stores exhaust soot (particulate matter) in a diesel vehicle before it can exit the exhaust system. If the DPF filter becomes clogged or overfilled with soot, it can cause a variety of problems that reduce the efficiency and performance of your engine.
It is important to be aware of the signs that your DPF needs cleaning so you can take action and keep your engine running smoothly. The best way to maintain the health of your DPF is to book regular DPF cleaning with a professional company.
Why Does Your DPF Filter Need Cleaning?
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) needs to be cleaned regularly to ensure optimal performance and efficiency from your engine. Over time, soot will accumulate in the filter, reducing its ability to capture exhaust particulates and resulting in decreased engine power, increased fuel consumption, and other issues. Regular cleaning of the DPF will help to keep your engine running optimally.
A clogged or dirty DPF can release harmful exhaust emissions into the air, so it’s important to have it cleaned regularly before it goes against emissions standards.
Symptoms of a Clogged DPF
- Decrease in fuel efficiency: The most common symptom of a clogged DPF is poor fuel economy. When the filter is blocked, the engine has to work harder to push exhaust gases through it, which reduces its performance and efficiency.
- Rough idle: When the exhaust gases can’t pass through the filter, they may cause the engine to misfire or shake while it idles. This is a sign that your DPF needs to be cleaned.
- Black smoke from the exhaust pipe: If you notice black smoke coming out of your exhaust, this is a tell-tale sign of a clogged DPF. It is usually accompanied by a foul odour as well.
- Check engine light: The check engine light will come on if the exhaust emissions are too high for the vehicle to pass its emissions tests. This can be caused by a clogged DPF, so it’s important to take your vehicle in for diagnostics if this happens.
- Increased engine temperature: Your diesel vehicle may be finding itself working harder and may take longer to cool down.
- Decreased engine performance: A clogged DPF can result in engine performance issues due to the exhaust gases not being able to pass through the filter properly. This can lead to a decrease in power, acceleration, and torque, making it difficult for your vehicle to reach its desired speed. The engine may also be louder than usual as it works harder to push exhaust gases through the filter.
If you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, it’s important to take action quickly and book a DPF filter cleaning. This can be done by a professional mechanic or you can purchase an at-home DPF cleaning kit. If the filter is badly clogged, it may need to be replaced entirely or incur costly damages.
How to Clean a Clogged DPF
Once you’ve identified the signs that your DPF needs cleaning, it’s time to take action. There are several different ways to clean a diesel particulate filter, including manual and professional methods. The best cleaning process for your DPF is to book an appointment with a professional mechanic who has the right equipment and expertise. They will be able to remove the filter and clean it using specialised chemicals or machines. This is usually the safest and most effective way to get your DPF back into working order.
How to Avoid DPF Problems
The best way to avoid DPF problems is to take preventive measures. This includes regularly checking the condition of your vehicle and addressing any warning signs or any of the points mentioned above, quickly. Make sure you keep up with regular servicing and inspections, so your engine is in top condition. Try to drive in an eco-friendly manner by accelerating gently and avoiding excessive idling. If possible, use higher quality fuel as this can help reduce clogging in the filter. Finally, consider investing in a DPF-specific additive that can help keep your filter clean and reduce the need for professional cleaning or replacement.
DPF Cleaning London – Carried Out by Experts
Our DPF specialists service a wide variety of locations in and around London and have the required experience to get your diesel-powered vehicle running optimally again. We offer the highest quality of customer service and the best possible care for your vehicle. You’ll be amazed by the difference our DPF cleaning services can make to the running of your vehicle.
DPF Experts are highly experienced in servicing, cleaning and restoring your vehicle’s Diesel Particulate Filter. And to convenience our customers even more, DPF Experts provide a convenient mobile DPF cleaning service for all makes and models offering a range of service packages to suit your vehicle’s needs.